I did my research before heading off to the salon for my first Brazilian blow-out and I haven’t looked back since. I have very curly hair and I am useless when it comes to styling my hair. I can’t blow-dry or flat-iron my own hair, so needless to say this treatment was like a godsend for me. Whenever we have plans to go out I have to start getting ready way ahead of time or go to the salon to have my hair done. I have the treatment done three to four times per year.
I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing my hair feels after the treatment and it lasts for three to four months. It drastically reduces the time I spend on drying and styling my hair. I no longer have to blow-dry my hair, I simply rough dry using my fingers or just brush while blow drying. Some days I don’t feel like drying my hair and I just apply a leave in conditioner or lightly spritz my hair with the OGX coconut oil mist and leave my hair to air dry.
This treatment has literally changed my life and has given me more manageable hair. My hair feels and looks much healthier and shinier than before. If you plan on colouring your hair around the same time as having the Brazilian blow-out I suggest that you colour your hair first. The treatment will lighten your colour, and make it pop even more. If you use the correct after care products the treatment will last longer. I use OGX Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy shampoo and conditioner because it is safe for colour treated hair, and after having a brazilian treatment.
In my opinion none of the hair smoothing treatments on the market today is completely chemical free. I know that some Brazilian treatments contain formaldehyde but the Keratin treatment does not. None of these products are chemical free and it all comes back to personal choice, and I guess you have to try both before you can decide what works best for you and your lovely locks.
In this photo my hair was just washed and it is still wet with no product on. My hair looks lighter here because the photo was taken in the morning with lots of natural light.
In this photo my hair was left to air dry – so no heat styling at all. My hair looks darker in this photo because it was taken at night.
The process is very simple! I got the step-by-step process from the Brasil Cacau Official International Online Store
STEP 01 – PREPARATION
- Wash the hair with Anti-Residue Shampoo, massaging into a lather. Leave for 5 minutes. Rinse. Repeat the operation for virgin hair or resistant hair.
- Use a hair dryer and hands to dry hair to about 80% dry.
- Separate the hair into 6 equal parts and secure each section with a clip.
STEP 02 – APPLY | DRY
- Hold an entire section near the nape. Apply the product at the base of the section near the roots using firm, single brush strokes. Repeat on all four sides of the section. Open the section in half and apply the product on the upper and lower parts of the section. Use a fine-tooth comb to comb through the entire section, from the roots to the ends, making sure the whole length of hair is covered by the product. Do not over saturate.
- Repeat the same application procedure on the other section near the nape, remembering to open the section in half and apply the product to the upper and lower parts of the section.
- With the hairdryer set to cold air, dry the two sections completely without brushing. It’s essential to dry just two sections to ensure comfort to both the professional and the customer. With this exclusive method, smoke and fumes are reduced to a minimum.
- Repeat points 4-5-6 on the two central sections.
- Repeat points 4-5-6 on the two frontal sections. Dry the sections backwards, away from the face to avoid contact with the customer’s face.
STEP 03 – STRAIGHTENING
- Hair straightener. Recommended temperature settings. Blond / damaged hair: Use a straightener temperature up to 200ºC (390ºF) Normal / resistant hair: Use a straightener temperature up to 230ºC (450ºF) Divide the hair into the same six sections as in step 1 and secure each section with a clip.
- Take a thin tress of hair and straighten from roots through mid-shaft of each strip 10 times 200ºC (390ºF) or 6 times 230ºC (450ºF).
- To create natural and healthy looking hair ends, only straighten 6 times for blond / damaged hair with iron at 200ºC (390ºF), or 3 times for normal / resistant hair with iron at 230ºC (450ºF).
- Repeat the iron straightening process in all the hair, always making sure to take fine and linear tresses of hair throughout the entire head. Always position the straightening iron at a 90º angle perpendicular to the scalp to achieve a straight result starting from the roots.
STEP 04 – FINISHING
- Rinse the hair.
- Apply the Deep Conditioning Mask and work it through the hair. Leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse again.
- Blow dry the hair. Eventually finish with desired styling brush or straightening iron.
- Instant smooth, straight hair, no frizz and impeccable shine.
And voila! smooth, soft and manageable hair for the next 12 weeks. After the first time I had the treatment done I was shocked at how much more shiny and how frizz-free my hair was (and still is) as a result of this treatment. To put it to the real test I went to the Rio de janeiro a week after having it done just to see how my hair would react to the humidity. I was so impressed that while relaxing on Copacabana beach my hair had still maintained its shine and was frizz-free.
This treatment is a lifesaver, and I love it so much that I even bought the at home kit while honeymooning in Rio. It is not the same brand as mentioned here but it still does the job for me. When I had the treatment done at the salon in the past they always used the Cacau brand. Cheers to smooth, shiny, manageable and frizz-free hair!
My go to shampoo/conditioner is the OGX Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy. The ingredients are perfect for keeping my hair frizz-free and shiny at a price that won’t break the bank. I love the packaging, it smells great and a little goes a long way. These products are safe to use on colour treated hair and after having the brazilian blow-out. It is sulphate and sodium free, and not tested on animals.
I absolutely love this OGX Nourishing Coconut Oil Hydrating Mist. It is a weightless hydrating oil mist that helps to moisturise dry/frizzy hair. I use it on wet hair and allow it to air dry or before I heat style my hair. A little goes a long way so all you need is a light spritz and then work it through your hair using your fingers or a brush.
Let me know what you think about the Brazilian Blowout treatment and if you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them.
Lots of Love